Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Sink or Sit?

I was reading today, the story of Peter walking on the water toward Jesus. I've read this story many times and I've always looked at it from a perspective of Peter's Lack of Faith. I mean if only Peter had just kept his eyes on Jesus he would have been OK.

However, today I saw it from a different perspective. Peter was the only disciple willing to get out of the boat and walk toward Jesus. Yes, maybe his faith wavered a bit, but he had enough faith to get out of the boat and make steps toward Christ. That's more than we can say for the rest of the disciples in the boat that night.

We've been going through a lot of "issues" at our church and often times I'll say, "I believe we're going in the right direction." However, in the quietness of my head, I ask, "Am I really sure this is right." Everything I'm reading and learning and everything I'm hearing from God says we are on the right track but attendance is down, giving is down and it forces me to question.

As I looked at Peter today, I realized that not only do we have to keep our eyes on Jesus but we have to be willing to take the hard steps. We have to be willing to step out of our comfort zones, into the unknown and do what God is calling us to do. No matter what others may say or what the outcome may be.

I believe that God is calling The Carpenter's Church to reach the Lehigh Valley for Christ. While we may have our "sinking moments", I'd rather sink, as we take steps toward Christ, then to just sit in the boat and do nothing.

No comments: