Thursday, February 22, 2007

Are We Ready To Look Foolish?

Well, I finally finished Mark Batterson's book, "In A Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day" and I must say that it is an awesome read. It's taken me a few weeks to get through it because I'm reading several books at the same time (not the best idea by the way).

The last nugget that I got from the book is that we as leaders and Christ Followers in general, need to be more concerned about what God thinks than what anyone else on the planet thinks. Too often we get concerned about what "our friends" or even "other believers" think of what God is telling us to do. So, we short circuit God's ideas or plans for us and modify them to make things more palatable for those around us.

In Mark's Book he reminds us that if we are going to do great things for and with our great God, we are going to look foolish to those around us . . . and that's OK. We're reminded of how foolish Noah looked building an ark in the middle of the desert. How foolish did the Israelites look as they marched around Jericho blowing trumpets? How foolish did David look as he attacked Goliath with a slingshot? How foolish did the wise men look as they followed a star? How foolish did Peter look as he stepped out of the boat in the middle of a lake? And how foolish did Jesus look as He hung half-naked on a cross?

I don't know about you, but I'd rather look foolish and be doing exactly what God is calling me to do than to try and look good for those around me and allow God's plans to be sidetracked.

Are you with me? Are we ready to expose Jesus to our community . . . even if we look foolish in the process?

Start by inviting someone to church this weekend for the second week of 'til Death. We've got a couple of surprises in store. You won't want to miss it.

No comments: