Thursday, February 08, 2007

I'm Getting Old!

I've come to the conclusion that I'm getting older and there's nothing I can do about it.

I was on the phone the other day with a woman from our church. She is considering taking part in a Good Friday drama we are planning. I told her that I heard she did drama when she was in high school. She said, "Well, yes I did, but that was a long time ago." I proceeded to ask a question that I know is not politically correct but I asked her when she graduated from high school. (You see it's not politically correct because I could quickly calculate her age) She answered me and told me that she graduated way back in 1996. I responded with a laugh and said, "That's not a long time ago. I graduated in 1985 and . . . That's a Long Time Ago."

Tomorrow is a big day for me. My oldest daughter (Emily, 11 years old) is going on her first Youth Trip this weekend. The student ministry of Carpenter's is going on their "Winter Blast" trip and she is going to be with over 40 students from our church, 2 hours away from home, for 2 days, without Mom and Dad. Can you feel my pain? Can you see my sadness? It was only yesterday that I was rocking her to sleep in my arms. Today, she doesn't fit in my arms.

In addition to Emily being away, tomorrow I'm having Hernia Surgery. I've never had surgery of any type. I've never had an I.V. I've never been put to sleep and I've never had days of recovery from any procedure. So, I'm very nervous about tomorrow. From what I understand they are going make an incision and plug and patch me with a mesh plug and patching material. I don't know how things will go but I do know that God is in control. Check back on Friday or Saturday and I'll post some details and let you know how I'm doing.

Needless to say, with my kids growing up and my body slowing down, I'm realizing that I'm getting older and there's nothing I can do about it. My only saving grace is that I believe God has some big things in store for me yet. . . or at least that's my thoughts.

No comments: