Sunday, February 11, 2007

I'm Not Going To Settle

The past few days have been very different for me. I've spent a lot of time laying down, ice pack on and when I do get up and move it's very ssssslllllllooooooowwwwww! I never realized how much we use our stomach muscles. Try sitting down, getting up, getting in and/or out of bed, brushing your teeth, or doing much of anything without your stomach muscles. Trust me it's very heard.

Before I had my surgery, I spoke with a lot of people about the procedure and the recovery process. Everyone I spoke with said that I would not want to move around much but they also said the more I do get up and walk around the faster the recover will be. In fact the papers that I received from the doctor indicated that I should be up and walking around 3-4 times per day. As I mentioned the other day, with in an hour or so of the surgery, the nurses had me up and walking around.

I must say that when I'm laying on the couch, reclined back, ice pack on, blanket on, T.V. and/or Computer on . . . I feel pretty good. I don't really feel like moving much at all. When I do move it hurts. it's difficult, it's slow, I feel like an old man and it's not fun at all. However, I know that if I'm going to get from feeling "pretty good" to feeling great, I need to go through the difficult, slow, not fun process.

Isn't that the way we can be with God sometimes. We settle for "pretty good" when we could have the "great" things that God really has in store for us. However, in order to experience the Great Things of God, we may need to go through the difficult, slow, not-so-fun process that helps us get from "pretty good" to "Great." We sit in church, go to work, enjoy our family, watch some shows and experience a "pretty good" life. However, if we'd step up and step out and really pursue God, we could have the "great" life that God promises.

I was reading Mark Batterson's Book, "In A Pit With A Lion On A Snowy Day" and he was talking about this same concept. We settle for God's Goodness when we could have God's Greatness but too often we are not willing to go through the pain, discomfort, not-so-fun process of following God.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to settle for "pretty good" when I could have "Great." Even if it is uncomfortable.

No comments: