Monday, March 26, 2007

Disconnected From The World



I've been a "Technology Guy" for a long time. I got my first PC for Christmas in 1981. It was a Tandy TRS80 and I was elated. You created your own "basic" program and if you wanted to save the program, you did so on the attached cassette recorder. Believe me, it was cool.

Today I've got my Palm Treo, my Notebook and Desktop computers that are all connected to the world via Wireless access and High Speed Internet. I check my e-mail many times a day, keep up with the happenings in the world via RSS Feeds from the BBC to USA Today about news, sports, entertainment, and health issues. I Keep up with the latest iTunes download statistics, follow about a dozen blogs from Pastors, Church and Technology leaders around the country and use all of this technology and information to help lead one of the most cutting edge churches in N.E. Pennsylvania.

However, this past weekend, I disconnected myself from all of that technology and connected with Jennifer. As you know, last week was our 15th Wedding Anniversary and so this past weekend we went to Fernwood Hotel & Resort in the Pocono's and had a wonderful time. We did a lot of nothing, I didn't answer a single phone call, didn't check e-mail, didn't keep up with the Blog World, didn't read a newspaper, didn't watch a news broadcast or log onto the internet at all. In fact, my wife was amazed that I didn't even bring a computer with with me. This weekend was all about disconnecting from life and connecting with my wife. Who, by the way, is an amazing women.

I tell you all this to encourage you to disconnect from life and connect with your spouse on a regular basis. It's these little things that make a big difference and build strong, rock solid relationships.

No comments: