Thursday, September 27, 2007

Silence, Listening, Thinking, Dreaming

It's been over 2 weeks since my last post. I would apologize for that but . . . well . . . I'm not really sorry.

A lot has happened in the past 2 weeks and it's been good to sit back in silence, listen to God, think about what He's teaching me and dream of what He has in store.

I turned 40 last week. While many people did and continue to call me old or make "Old Man" jokes, I don't feel any different than I did at 39. However this mile marker has forced me to think back on my life. What have I accomplished, what has God been able to do through me, what has God not been able to do because of pride or disobedience or distractions. And then there's the big question, What does God have in store for the next 40 years?

I've taken a lot of time, over the past couple of weeks, to really connect with God, plug into Him, ask some hard questions and listen to His response. While He's not laid out the next 40 years, He's starting to put the next couple of steps in front of me. I heard an illustration one time that God's will is like the headlights on your car. They don't illuminate your entire trip, they simply illuminate the next few steps. God is my headlight and is beginning to illuminate my next few steps. I'm excited about the next few steps as well as the next 40 years. As long as I'm connected with God and allowing Him to control the steps, it's going to be a crazy, exciting, challenging and totally fulfilling.

G3

1 comment:

S. said...

Steven,

I have run across your name a time or two. But usually when I see it, it's mine.

It's odd to read the blog--you and I have a lot in common, apparently. I love John Eldredge, for example, I have a daughter (and a son), I spend a lot of time at church (for a layman). I have been extremely busy with church music from time to time, but less so lately.

Anyway, I'll come back around again later.

Any relatives in Louisiana? That's where all my Wales family lives. Though they were in North Carolina and other points in between until 1850 or so.

Steven Wales